Tuesday 2 March 2010

DJ Grizz- Jazz Juice Special

After the Northern Soul and Soul Boy/Jazz Funk scenes of the 70's and eary 80's came another underground movement based on good grooves - the jazz dancers. From the late 80's through the early 90's London clubs like The Wag, Dingwalls, Blue Note, to name a few, played jazz-funk, fusion, latin and old hard bop tunes to a an eager crowd including some wicked dancers.

Capturing the big tunes on the scene a series of LPs came out- Jazz Juice 1 - 8, and heres my mix of my favorites from those albums.

Enjoy!

http://rapidshare.com/files/357941681/jazzjuice.mp3

Grizz

Tracklist in comments.

8 comments:

Grizz said...

Pat Longo- I believe in love
Flora Purim- From the lonely afternoon
Sergio Mendes- Rhoda
Young Holt Trio- Wack Wack
Janet Lawson- So high
Richie Cole - New York afternoon
Jon Lucien- Who will buy
Lou Rawls- The girl from Ipanema
Cybill Shepherd- Trieste
Charles Earland- Murelly

SoulNRnB said...

Jazz juice, one of the best compilation series ever put together by Giles Peterson. Great stuff Grizz!

Grizz said...

Thanks Mr S- I wonder what ever happened to Giles Peterson- after a stint as an underground DJ in the 80's n 90's probably went working in some awful job and running a soul blog in his spare time!? oh no hold on thats us... LOL :)

SoulNRnB said...

He successfully runs Brownswood Records (and has some mighty fine comps on that label) and is still finding new talent on a regular basis.

I first heard about Foreign Exchange and Dwele (Before they were signed) through him!

No Soul blog for Giles im afraid...!

Grizz said...

I was only joking... LOL

SoulNRnB said...

I feel silly now.

e-keane said...

Nothing new there then.....
Yes these were great comps....I used to play them @ 2am, very loud, with the windows open (stoned and pissed out of my box)..back in the good old day! Wonder why none of my neighbours then said goodbye when I moved. Right antisocial lot!
Some seriously good tunes here. Thanks a lot for sharing them.

Respect,

Eugene

Grizz said...

Ahhh memories... I remember trying to start a Jazz Funk/Fusion night at a pub in Hackney in the late 80's... I had about 6 serious dancers turn up and nobody else... needless to say the gig didnt run for long!!LOL