Monday 22 March 2010

DJ Grizz- New Funk Special

And now for something completely different! Not only am I posting a day early (I'm off to the game at West Ham tomorrow night) but I'm posting some upfront tunes!!!

Now I'm known as a bit of a musical snob amongst my music digging mates 'cos although I've amassed many thousands of Soul/Jazz/Reggae LP's, 45's, Cd's & MP3's its virtually all from the mid 60's to the early 80's. The whole New Jack, House, Hip Hop, Garage, RnB etc scenes just passed me by despite Mr SoulNRnB's sterling efforts to keep me knowledgeable.

There is however one recent musical trend that has perked my ears up and got me buying stuff from the noughties and that's New Funk. Bands that have gone retro, can play a bit and bang out some solid tunes with a heavy nod to their 60's n 70's influences. The likes of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, The Bamboos, The Soul Investigators and many more have taken up the torch and all feature in this one off special mix.

Now that I've left my musical comfort zone for once I wonder what Mr SoulNRnB has in store later this week???

Grizz

http://rapidshare.com/files/366781565/newfunk.mp3
Tracklist in comments

6 comments:

Grizz said...

The Bamboos- Step it up
Sharon Jones and the Dapkings- How long do I have to wait
Cookin’ on 3 Burners- Cars
Speedometer- Wait up
Kings Go Forth- One day
Baby Charles- I bet you look good on the dance floor
Natural self- I don’t need this kinda trouble
Tuomo- Don’t take it too hard
The Bamboos- Tighten up
Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators- Soul Investigators Theme

SoulNRnB said...

A gauntlet has been laid!

Sweet Tee said...

This is a turn up for the 'Books' for you Grizz!!! It's real different to your previous mixes. this is more up SoulnRnB Street.

I like it but I still prefer the old stuff.

Hope you enjoyed the Match. We all know that the Hammers need to win :-)

Grizz said...

Thanks Sweet Tee, give the mix a whirl as, if like me your ears are tuned into the old school, this may be a pleasent suprise.
PS I don't want to talk about the Hammers!!!

cam said...

beautiful......hope there will be more volumes to come!! thanx!

Grizz said...

Chhers Cam, Vol.s 2 n 3 already on-site and vol 4 in the pipeline!