Tuesday 31 August 2010

DJ Grizz- On a Jazz Tip Vol.2

I recall some 15 or so years ago going, on occasions, to the Blue Note club in Hoxton Square, Islington on a Sunday afternoon. Upstairs was the Sunday Soul Affair where you listened to rare soul, ate the Jerk Chicken from the kitchen, browsed the crates and generally jus' chilled with a beer or 2. Downstairs however a few DJs played some wicked, often furious, jazz funk and latin for almost exclusively dancers to practise. Now I weren't bad at my soul 2step but I was strictly a spectator when it came to them boys!

In the spirit of them jazz boys heres 'On a Jazz Tip Vol. 2' for all you revival jazz funk/fusion fans. Contributions from Donald Byrd, Doug Carn (Jean's ex), and both Charles Earland & Black Sugar lay down some solid interpretations of well loved tunes.

Enjoy guys!

Grizz

http://rapidshare.com/files/415974458/jazz2.mp3

Tracklist in comments

5 comments:

Grizz said...

Banda Favela- Neguinho
Doug Carn- Mighty Mighty
Donald Byrd- Dance band
Charles Earland- We’ve only just begun
Black Sugar- Valdez in the country
Reverie- In every way
Mr Hermano- Free as the morning sun
Norman Brown- Loves Holiday
Joe Bataan- Cycles of you
Toni Tornado- Sou Negro

Mark King said...

Nice one Grizz

Hoxton wasone of my old haunghts. Our paths may have crossed there at some stage. I was a bit like you took a seat and watched the dancers do there stuff.

Grizz said...

Youre welcome ABD

SoulNRnB said...

Wow, Grizz is gonna be well pleased when he reads your comment Cheryl!

Grizz said...

Hi Cheryl... great to hear from u, I remember it well- u guys def knew your musical onions although I spent far too much of my wages on the record dealers and the grub from that little kitchen at the back... Grizz