Tuesday 17 August 2010

DJ Grizz- Soulful 80's Vol.7

Back to the decade which began when I was still a teen and where my passion for Soul n Jazz bloomed! The early 80's- when I started going to Soul clubs in my tassled loafers and swopped spending my money on Kola Kubes and football stickers to 12'' imports from shops like Groove Records in Greek St, Soho, London (anyone else remember the music savy old lady who worked in there?).

Heres some more of the top tunes from that era in volume 7 of the Soulful 80's series. Artists include Brass Construction, Feel and a club classic from the 118 guy- Ray Parker Jnr.

I'm off to the Costa Del 'Norfolk' for a break (although alas there's not much sun in the UK at the moment). SoulNRnB up at the weekend and i'll see you guys next week!
Grizz
Tracklist in comments


4 comments:

Grizz said...

Yvonne Gage- Lover of my dreams
Gloria D Brown- The more they knock
Brass construction- We can do it
Advance - Take me to the top
Feel - Lets rock
Alton Edwards- I just wanna
Kashif, Melissa Morgan- Love changes
Nicole- Desire
Lenny White ft Chaka Khan- Who do you love
Ray Parker Jr- Still in the groove

Unknown said...

my time this!!! yes looking forward to this one..tassled loafas, nearly chocked on me tea there...i remember that that shop but Daddy cools i think it was in Berwick Street. that was my place!!!

Grizz said...

Loafers and jeans with piping down the side and a stripy Tshirt... 80's East London Soulboy essentials!!lol
I recall Daddy Kools & Record Shack up there, to be fair Groove went a bit hip hop later in the 80's so i tended to go places like Music Power in Haringey, Time is Right Islington & Jifs Seven Kings (with occasional forays to shops round Camden market). Thanks for the comments & making me feel old Rehab :)!!

Unknown said...

just seen this as i sit in a smelly train. I dont get why some people cant brush their teeth in the morning.
ah yes piping on jeans...but now i feel really really ole coz i sewed my piping down the front of my trousers..
Record shack...was a great shop.
You might want to cross the river one of these days thers a little shop in greenwich thats like a music exchange..but ive found some great little finds in there...promos 10" and 12"....they even have a basement!! everything down there is a pound....