Thursday 9 December 2010

SoulNRnB's Time Machine 1983


Im gonna do a few of these, but out of them all this is probably the year I remember most fondly musically. As a young man I couldn't afford to buy the latest 12" (I would have to save 3 weeks for one!) so would record my tunes off the radio from shows hosted by the likes of Robbie Vincent, Greg Edwards, the original Kiss FM and other Pirate Radio stations. I would covet those TDK, Memorex and Denon cassette's let me tell you.

Sometimes I wouldn't even know the name of the song or the artist (As the DJ wouldnt mention those un-important things at times) and finding out in the days before the internet was a task. Music discussions with a fellow soul music fan was always the remedy, and an escape from New Romantics, Cross dressing pop bands, and blokes with shuttlecocks down thier pants.

This mix is like one of my long lost cassettes found at the back of a drawer. Although we've heard some of the tunes a very many times, to me they remind me of those early years discovering soul music for the first time......

Next up - First of my Xmas specials. They are absolutely on fire, and the one im gonna post Xmas week is one of my favourite selections Ive done since contributing to the blog! Grizz has got some Xmas niceness coming up to so stay with us over the holidays!

SoulNRnB's Time Machine 1983 UPDATED 21/1/12

3 comments:

SoulNRnB said...

1.Dayton - The sound of music
2.D-Train - Keep giving me Love
3.Surface - Falling in love
4.Skyy - Show me the way
5.David Joseph - You cant hide your love
6.Unique - What I got is what you need (Intro)
7.Kashif - Stone Love
8.Fonzi Thornton - Uh oh (There goes my heart)
9.Chi Lites - Changing for you (Intro)
10.Gap Band - Outstanding
11.Active Force - Give me your love
12.Anita Baker - Will you be mine
13.Mtume - Juicy Fruit
14.I-Level - Give Me
15.SOS Band - Just be good to me

Unknown said...

did some guys put shuttlecocks down their pants!...*mouth dropped to the floor, laughing*...nice selection sir..looking forward to seeing your choices for the year.
TDK!!! all the way. I found some radio tapes the other day while up in the loft....unfortunately i dont have a tape deck that works any more!...lol so i have no idea whats on there..they say lovers, or erection section...always loved my slow jams...going to have to take them to me mums to play...lol...funny...xx

SoulNRnB said...

That would be "Wham" with the shuttlecocks Ms Jo! Let me know what was on your TDK tape, might remind me of some old favourites!!

Keep an eye out for our best of 2010 list, be good to hear your opinion too!!