Monday 2 April 2012

DJ Grizz- Teena Marie Mix

Kicking off April with an artist tribute mix & this time its the Lady T herself Ms Teena Marie. Starting her career with Motown Records at the back end of the 70's her powerful vocals and many funk edged tunes formed part of my jazz funked filled life soundtrack throughout the 80's (when I was young enough to go to clubs and soul weekenders). Also made a strong comeback in the noughties, she was respected by old time soul connoisseurs and new RnB fans alike.

The mix includes the Temps cover (and Peter Tosh hit) Don't Look Back, the classic Portuguese Love (where the jazz dancers back in the day waited for the last 2 minutes to do their thing), collaborations with Ronnie McNeir and longtime mentor Rick James and You Make Love Like Springtime- a tune I never tire of hearing.

Back in Soul Niceness mode next week, I believe SoulNRnB has some 'artist' mixes coming soon too. Have a good Easter if you are off!

Grizz

http://www.mediafire.com/?ocd5jzyth94o8zb

SoulNRnB:

Grizz, what a top mix, reminds me of back in the day something rotten. Just wanted to stick my oar in and single out a couple of more recent tunes that she did that I like that may have flown under the self confessed music snobs radar!

First up, from 1994, her duet with Lenny kravitz...



And then from her last LP, Congo Square, her duet with Faith Evans.



Great stuff!



Tracklist in comments

1 comment:

Grizz said...

Don’t look back
Ooh la la
Still in love
Wild & peaceful
Portuguese Love
Square Biz
You make love like springtime
My baby loves me - with Ronnie McNeir
I’m just a sucker for your love- with Rick James
Why did I have to fall in love with you
Wishing on a star